It’s become a tradition over the past few years that whenever my sister and I find a Byron Bay White Choc Chip Chai Latte cookie, we buy it for each other. They are pretty hard to come by, which is a damn shame because they are so delicious. So, when my sister had a birthday recently, I decided I’d surprise her with a homemade version.
The problem was, I couldn’t find a recipe for chai latte cookies that was exactly how I wanted them to be. This meant I had to make one up myself. Originally, I thought about adapting my standard chocolate chip cookie recipe, but a brainwave led to me using a snickerdoodle* base instead.
(*The snickerdoodle isn’t a common cookie here in Australia and I was only introduced to it a few years ago by an American colleague who brought them in to work one day. Turns out a snickerdoodle is one of the most delicious things ever and I highly recommend trying one if you haven’t.)
To get the chai flavour, I used chai latte pods, which you can find in any supermarket.
The result was one of the most amazing cookies I’ve ever had. They were so moreish – even at the cookie dough stage – I think I ate my weight in cookies before I could even take them to my sister.
Here’s what I did:
Choc Chip Chai Latte Cookies
- 250 grams of unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup of caster sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 3/4 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 chai latte pods (any brand will do)
- Bag of white chocolate chips (my preference is Cadbury)
- 1 chai latte pod
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Start by preheating your oven to 160 degrees Celsius, and lining two or three baking trays with baking paper.
- Next, beat your butter (I chop mine into small pieces to make it easier) with your caster sugar and brown sugar until it’s all light and fluffy.
- Turn your mixer onto medium speed and then add in your egg, egg yolk and vanilla and beat for another minute.
- Turn your mixer down to medium-low and add in your bicarb soda, cream of tartar, salt, cinnamon and two chai latte pods. You’ll need to scrape out the contents of your chai latte pods. This can be a little fiddly as it will really be jam-packed in there. Mix until everything is combined.
- Then, turn your mixer down to low and mix in your flour until it’s all combined.
- Stir in your chocolate chips.
- Meanwhile, place the contents of your third chai latte pod and some additional cinnamon in a small bowl. You can also add in some additional caster sugar if you like.
- Then, start rolling your dough into balls. Roll each ball lightly in your chai-cinnamon mix to give it a thin coating, and then place it on your baking tray.
- Put your trays in the oven. It should take no more than ten minutes to bake these cookies to perfection. Remember that snickerdoodles are meant to be soft – so you definitely don’t want to overdo these. They should stay fairly light in colour.
- Leave them to cool and try your best to stand back and wait before digging right in.